Sunday, July 4, 2010

Interdependence Day?


In the U.S., Independence is celebrated once a year as one of ten bank holidays; A day to gather with people, eat, drink, blow sh*t up, then relax and watch fireworks. What I’m interested in on a smaller and slightly more selfish level is the question of what it is to be an independent person, because I think as humans, we’re actually a nice balance of interdependent. Therefore, to declare confidently, “I’m independent” is, in a way, a generally thoughtless statement when you think about it. If we were all completely and honestly independent, we’d be lost. By definition, to be interdependent is to be mutually dependent. I guess I just think it’s kind of funny that a holiday celebrating independence is typically spent gathering in large crowds, often on the turnpike...in minivans. I know, I know...The Independence Day we celebrate is of course more about being Independent as a nation, and the birth of Democracy. I’m not attempting to reinvent the wheel or anything, but in some ways I think it would be interesting to at least recognize the fact that nothing has ever truly been accomplished independently. In order to bring about change, whether positively or negatively, we have to come together as a mass of people working together towards a common goal. On an individual level, we need relationships with other people for a multitude of reasons. Without these relationships, we become mentally impaired. Just something I was thinking about, whether it’s ridiculous or not. More than anything, I’m happy to see people using the day as a way to spend time with others, recognize the good things we have, and “just be here now” as a good friend reminded me earlier. So Happy Independence Day!....just don’t be afraid to admit to at least some balance of dependence. It’s OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment