Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Another Day in Job Huntville: Lesson 101 - Staying Motivated


I awoke this morning to the lovely, whirring sound of my air-conditioner around 7am and flicked on the "news" from my bed. I will admit to my guilty mindless pleasure of The Today Show, mostly because after about five minutes of hearing over-enthusiastic multi tonal blabber about topics such as what to dress your dog in for the summer, I am definitely more than motivated to eject myself from my bed, dive in to the shower, and begin the day. Every so often though, The Today Show hits me square in the heart. Well, I'll throw them that point today. There was a story on about a soft-spoken, hard-working janitor in a working class neighborhood in Washington state. He hit the lottery and won $3.4 million dollars, but kept working, and stayed in his tiny house with his wife. He did splurge on a new heating pump, but also on a $40,000 track for the school he works at. I wished to myself that I could have this man as my mentor, and that, in essence motivated me to get my ass back in gear on my own...hopefully. It's been way too long since I wrote anything here, mostly because I felt there was nothing to really write about. Well, so I guess I'll more or less write about nothing.

It is month number four of my labor hiatus, and it's only now that I actually kind of, sort of want to go back to contributing to society in some way. Maybe it's the Capricorn in me, that strives to have some sort of organized purpose, and a place to go and tasks to tackle so that I feel as though I really earned that beer by 6pm. I find ways to justify "earning" beers for myself by about 2pm these days, so a more disciplined approach might be appropriate at this time. Yesterday it was because it was hot out and the beer was colder than the water in the Brita pitcher...right next to the can of beer.

What I have learned thus far from being unemployed is that I need to really make the day count. This comes in forms such as stretching out the morning coffee routine, epic errand running, etc. A really successful day is when I drink coffee for only about one hour, while job-hunting. This counts as multi-tasking in my justification book and has me well on the way to my hops-infused reward. This morning was good, and my attitude was an 8 on the 10 scale, even when I momentarily balanced my hot cup of coffee on my stomach, hiccuped, and spilled half of it on myself. I then planned out an epic errand running excursion, which would then be followed up by book reading on the patio of a coffee shop. Quite the day, and it was only 3pm. All in all, motivation was achieved.



3 comments:

  1. The key to balancing coffee with the stomach is that the coffee has already been consumed, preferably with milk. Better luck next time, DuBois!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I took a "mug half full" approach today...which is, of course, the morning equivalent to "glass half full"...unless you've dropped that glass in a drunken stupor.

    ReplyDelete