Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It's Never Just An Oil Change.


I awoke this morning to the sound of a car horn. This is not at all shocking, but it did remind me that I had left my car at the mechanic in NJ the previous day. How did I go in for a $30 oil change and come out with an estimate for $1,000 worth of work? They had not called me during the day so I just figured no news was good news. Alas, Willie pulled me aside when I went in and explained the mile long list of front end work my car needed. He had one of those wandering eyes too, which caused me to furrow my brow and look at him harder as if what he was saying was more unbelievable than it should be. He also sensed my being overwhelmed and said half laughing, "You could gettuh bicycle." I trusted him though. It's an old car, but even so, me being me just asked him how dangerous it would be if I just kept driving the car anyway. Apparently my front tires could fly off while I'm driving down the highway. So I went back to my parent's house and put my head between my legs and said to just ditch the car. That's half of what the thing is probably worth. My parents are saints though and insisted on just having the work done and paying for it. I told them I'd work out a payment plan with them. They just rolled their eyes and said we'd discuss it later, but to not worry about it now.

I suppose I am just constantly reminded, especially by my parents that we always have to be aware of what's truly important. Safety, health, our relationships with one another....I know I'm getting sappy, but it's true. We can't let petty things get in the way of the bigger picture. There are always going to be people worse off than yourself. People with way more on their plate and little means to deal with it. Without even a second thought, my mother drove me all the way back to Brooklyn after her long day of work. We got off at my exit and came to a traffic light where I recognized this disheveled looking guy who comes around asking for money. I've never given him anything. My mother pulled out a dollar and gave it to him. I told her about how I often see him and don't give him anything. She just shrugged and said, "Well it's no burden to me to give it to him if I have it." And so once again, I have been surprised by someone I think I know and can predict so well. Perhaps next time I won't be so quick to roll up my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment